Monday, March 8, 2010

Mostly Movies

First: How does that worm get in that apple? Do worms have teeth? Gross.

Second: something funny that i've already forgotten

And third: Avatar at the Oscars. Note how, outside "Best Picture" and maybe you could count "Directing", it only got nominations for things related to it's technological advances. "Best Actor"? no nominations. Actress? No. Supporting roles? No. How about Writing? Of course not. Not even in the "Adapted" category...

What does this say? Avatar was a "pretty" movie. And when Kathy Bates mentioned the good "messages" it portrayed, the rednecks of America...who were watching the Oscars? not likely i guess...turned to their wife and said, "There was a message in that thang?!"

This all leaves me to wonder how Avatar could even be nominated for "Best Picture". I almost cried when it didn't take that award. Cried with Joy! And I can't help but think that Cameron had to cringe a little losing both that title and "Directing" to his ex-wife.


In other news: Alice was sufficient. I need a second viewing to set a real opinion. The 3d was used properly in my book. Alice's dresses were fantastic. I thought Depp's character was a little off-putting at times. Matt Lucas as the Tweedles did not disappoint. And Crispin Glover was able to use his inherent creepiness in a proper way. Helena, well she rarely disappoints. The White Queen was a bit too flitty for me. I understand wanting to be dramatic, but she failed at portraying it well. Overall, I'd say 4 out of 5.

How about The Fall? If you haven't seen this, watch it. It's fantastic. The little Romanian girl will steal your heart.

And I recently watched House of Wax (2005), House of Wax (1953), and Mystery at the Wax Museum (1933). Mystery at the Wax Museum was fantastic. I was not aware certain topics were even discussed in the 30's. Women's lib I suppose, but I wonder if this was a theatre release, or art-house. Either way, fantastic film. House of Wax (1953) was a bore. Sorry Vincent. House of Wax (2005), while hokey at times, as teen horror movies are, was a decent flick of the genre. The final scene was visually well pulled off. And Paris Hilton's dying scene was great, actually great.

Well, there you have it.

No comments: