Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Oh, the congestion


So I've been saying LA, and I've been saying LA. And I've been dreaming LA for years longer than I'm willing to admit. And when I finally have the chance to go...goddamn it if I didn't decide on a career path.

I'm clearly a little stunted in the whole life thing, as I still have a little of the "I can save the world" in me. Probably the lack of personal offspring. But it's more serious than just "can". It's a must. I know that I would feel guilty if I took that cush office job and didn't do something.

So I've decided to go into international development/child welfare. I hate the first term. That assumes that these societies are in a place that is unsatisfactory. All societies develop though, I just hope I don't become part of an organization that forces the develop. I think Lenin proved that was a bad idea.

Anyway, my point is, I want to work in the sphere of international aid. It seems the only way to do that in LA is to sit around trying to collect money from starlets.

I mean, obviously, best case scenario, I'm not even doing most of my work in this country, but I have to be based somewhere.

I've been holding out on Chicago. I love Chicago, and I've been saying that I want to settle there. It dawned on me this week, I'm not 18 anymore. I'm closer to 30 than I am 20, and while I don't need to "settle" per se, it's not a bad idea to head to a town that I love and that in general has more love to give than Los Angeles.

How can I have done so much and still feel like life is passing me by? I will never be able to die satisfied. I will never have seen enough. I will never have experienced enough. Maybe I should go ahead and make my bucket list so I'll have something to satisfy myself if I should, god forbid, make it to old age.

I'm starting with that ground up snake bone spread I saw on Travel Channel today.

No comments: